Monday, October 20, 2008

"I am a Wife"



Ellie came running into the kitchen this morning donning this lovely outfit. When I asked her what in the world she was wearing, she says, "I am a wife". Really?! That makes for some encouraging words in the morning for a stay at home mom. After leaving for a few minutes, she came back with the next outfit and says, "I am Parrah, that is Barbie in Spanish, like Africa." What!? Apparently she heard Cory and I talking about Africa yesterday and I am going to choose not to interpret the rest of her silliness from this morning. Oh! I love this 3 year old girl.

On to what I had planned to blog today...

For a few months now I have been reevaluating things ( my role as a mom and wife, love and compassion for people, where "our" money is going, my place in the world, what matters for eternity, you name it...) Yesterday I was really having a battle with the Lord over my capabilities in ministry. I tend to get these ideas in my head of the way I should do things and if I can't see myself doing them the way others do, I just throw out the whole idea. Somewhere along the line, I have created this insecurity that has been really numbing. Last night I took over Ellie's story time for Cory while he was at his small group. They are reading through a children's Bible and the marker was on "Moses and the Burning Bush."(Exodus 3&4) Because of Moses' doubt in himself, he asked the Lord to send someone else to bring the Israelites out of Egypt. The Lord said to him, Who gave man his mouth? Who gives him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." Hmm... I don't think it was just coincidence that it was my turn to read the story.

Hebrews 13:20 May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.


Just some of my thoughts on what I am learning....

11 comments:

Valarie Daly said...

Amen Brooke. I also tend to not get involved because of my limitations on how much I can give or how well I can do it! I need to just trust in the one who gave me eyes to see, ears to hear, and a mouth to speak and make myself available to doing his will in my life!

Brandi said...

amen, amen. . .I can't wait to see all that the Lord has planned for you guys. I love you and cherish our recent conversations on what the Lord is teaching and where He is leading. He is SOOOO Good. . and the work you are allowing Him to do is beautiful and challenging. Thanks, my friend.

Bran

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

What a great post! First, I love the pic of Ellie! Too funny.
Second, what a challenging story. Thank you for sharing.

Dearest Jessica said...

What a beautiful wife she is!

Can't wait to see what God calls you to.

Largaespada Family said...

I just love when the Lord shows us more about ourselves when we are trying to teach our children. It just shows that when He is at work, He can speak through anything. We just have to be willing to listen. Great post Brooke!

Oh, and I can't forget Ellie...LOVE IT!!!

Kelly said...

What a sweet wife picture...is that what you wear when you're at home? :) Thanks for sharing your heart! I love that God uses a childrens bible to teach us still!

Brittani said...

Miss Ellie is too cute for words. I miss you guys. Hey, just so you know, I finally jumped on the technology band wagon & started a blog. If you have some time, visit me at : matandbrittani.blogspot.com

Brittani said...

Hey, if you havent read Nancy blog about her experiences with God in Germany...CHECK IT OUT! Pretty cool stuff. She just updated it with an awesome story. www.nancers.blogspot.com

Laura said...

so yesterday while I was at my work meeting our husbands got to hang out... not fair.

Brittani said...

Are you still alive, girl. You are more difficult to get in touch with than the President! I miss you and would love to hang out when you are free. By the way, I am blogging now. Check out my page if you have any free time...."free time" what's that, right?!

Anonymous said...

How sweet Brooke! I love that story and totally understand what you are talking about! Thanks for sharing! Love ya, Christie